Farming Starts Here
Strawberry farming for beginners
Before we begin there are a few things that you need to know about strawberry farming in Kenya.
Strawberry varieties in Kenya include:
- Tioga selva
Facts about strawberries
- They are easy to grow
- When planting strawberries you use seedlings called splits
- They dont require a large piece of land
- They thrive between mild and hot temperature (They do not tolerate cold weather)
- The crop lasts for 3 years
Diseases that you need to keep a look out for are:
- Fusarium Oxysponium
- Fusarium Wilt
NB: Due to susceptibility to Verticillium wilt a viral disease you should avoid planting strawberries where the following crops were recently planted; Capsicum, Okra, Tomatoes, Eggplant or brinjals
Before planting you have to be equipped with the following:
- Garden spades
- Garden Trowels
- Source of water
- Garden Shears
- Fungicides and Pesticides
- Packaging materials for end product
STEP BY STEP PLANTING PROCESS
- You must prepare your land very well in order for you to have a healthy crop.
- Prepare a bed that is raised 20cm and width of 1 metre (the length depends with the number of crops you want to plant)
- Mix one bucket of manure per square metre into the soil.
- The planting holes should be 30 cm from row to row and 30 cm from plant to plant.
- Before planting the bed should be watered thoroughly
- The roots should be covered well but not to deep to prevent rotting of the stem
- Mulching is recommended after planting. This will help in moisture retainment and weed control.
- During the first month of planting the strawberries should be irrigated daily in the afternoons. After the first month is over you should irrigate 2-3 times a week.
- You should remove the flowers of the strawberries during the first two months to avoid premature fruit development. This will lead to stunting and poor growth of the crop.
- This is done after 21/2 months- 3 months of planting.
- Thinning the strawberries to 2-3 splits per crown is done every 7 months to enable it to rejuvenate and increase crop yields.
- Old leaves and runners are removed from the strawberries
- Foliar feeds can be added during the growing period to increase crop yield
Seek knowledge and training before planting strawberries is a necessary step during the planning period because any mistake made cannot be corrected until the 3 years is up.
Did you find this useful? Kindly leave a comment below.
Okay. say i have decided to grow the strawberries. where do i sell them??
Hello. If you are looking for market you can submit your products on http://www.mkulimayoung.co.ke. This will enable you to get access to customers easily.
I’m happy and wiling to plant strobbery but wheredo iI get seeds or seedlings?
Kindly can it grow well around Kisumu?
Any connections in Siaya?
Advice me if i do strawberry farming where the market,
Jam processing is a very good way to market strawberries. This is because it adds value to the produce and increases the shelf life. Adding value will also increase your income.
Approach supermarkets in your area to get an order. You can then supply your produces needed.
Fruit stalls in the urban areas are also good spelling points.
Big hotels use strawberries for dessert and toppings
I have some expertise in food processing equipment design. Can i grow strawberries and sell the final product at the same time?
am interested in strawberry farming. is it advisable to farm in lari(near limuru) which is very cold.
can strawberry grow on black cotton soil?
Hey. You have to test your soil with soilcares.com to get full analysis.
Thanks for the informative post! I am really interested in growing strawberries, but I don’t have any background about it. Greetings
nice…..can i do strawberry farming in my garden kitchen.
Hi what kind of fungicide and pesticides should be used and where can they be purchased from in Nairobi? Kindly be specific with names. Thanks a lot for the info.
Can u ship the seedlings to me from Kenyan and what’s the cost?
Hello. Sorry but we do not sell the seedlings
hi guys i help farmers to plant strawberry and i sell the seedlings and plant for you,whatsapp/call 0728687401
Where are you located?
Hi john.I intend to plant strawberries in my greenhouse of 8m x 30m in mbeere area of Embu county.Pls advice me on the cuttings required,availability pls
Hey John, I want to start strawberry farming in my back yard. Can you please help me out.
Sure. What would you like to know?
Where do u stay
where can I getting the packaging punnets for strawberry fruits. I am in Eldoret
Check with Dels Farm located in Kapeseret
where can i find straw berry seedlings in eldoret
Check with Dels Farm located in Kapeseret
Where can i purchase planting splits of chandler hybrid( nearest to me)? Am in Vihiga county.
what is the noon and night temperature in kenya? is this strawberry planta grow at high kand where temp cooler or it grow in low land area?
Thanks for useful information
Which variety is best for kisumu and where can l get splits and what is best season for planting
Very useful info… Thanks
Where can I get the strawberry splits in Nyeri.I also need the soil tested.
great idea I grow strawberry but I doubt the size how can get Chandler variety at Kericho
Which specific fungicides are used for strawberries?
How do I get seedlings??
can i get seedlings in kitale
Am really interested in this kind of farming the strawberry. I want to start in limuru. Plz can I know u more through your number please if you dont mind.please
How can I get the ideal seedlings for Nakuru
can strawberry farning succeed in kakamega county
can strawberry farming succeed in kakamega
Thank you! It`s very practical and informative instruction for growing strawberries.
But if I live in the region where the rains are constant and the temperature reaches a maximum of 15-20 degrees. How it will affect the quality of the crop? And what ways to planting the crop you can recomend?
that’s a very good information am trying the chandler but I have problems with botryties
where can I get strawberry splits in Nairobi?
that’s very useful information, where can i get a one on one training on this farming.
Can strawberry farming survive in towns like Eldoret
Thank you Kimani 🙂
Starting mine soon in tharaka though worried of the market.
Starting small will help you to test the market and look for suppliers.
My name is James.I would like to know where I can get strawberry splits.
0720120717 Momanyi. Call this guy
Thank for this useful information.
Where can I get seedlings and what are the costs?
Good people feel free to reach me via whatsapp at 0748323628. My company deals in strawberry farming and marketing for anyone interested to invest in the venture. We are located at Mumbi House in Nairobi CBD along temple road room 124B