With only a capital of Ksh 62, 000 you can earn a net return of about 118,000/= from every acre of potatoes in 3 months. This cost includes labour and farm inputs.
Things you need to know;
- Average production of potatoes per acre
- Cost of Potatoe Seed ( Certified seed sell at KES 3,000 per 100kg bag)
- Current market Price of potatoes (Asante, Sanghi, Tigoni, Kenya Karibu, Kenya mpya,)
Growing potatoes is easy, profitable and gives returns in just 3 months. 0ne acre will produce a minimum of 90 bags (With good management; you can even harvest upto 120 bags (100kg bags) per acre)
Current Market Price: Ksh 2,000
Production Cost: Ksh 62,000
Average Bags per Acre: 90 (100kgs per bag)
Ksh 2000 x 90 bags = Ksh 180,000
HOW TO PLANT
- Dig furrows with a spacing 75cm from one furrow to another and 30 cm from one seed to another and 10
- Mix the soil with D.A.P fertilizer at planting time at a rate of 200kg per acre (1kg DAP per 35m of furrow).
- Water regularly every week with a water supply of about 25mm.
- Covering the crops with soil is required (Earthing) as they grow with the final earthing up done at 25cm high.
Major Potato Diseases in Kenya
- Late blight
- Bacterial wilt
NB: Before venturing into potato farming you must first find out which seed variety is suitable for your area. You can know this by consulting agricultural experts or by asking farmers from your area which seed performs best with their soil.
Tip: Free draining fertile medium loams are preferred for growing the crop since heavy clays restrict tuber growth.